Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day Two - Alabama

It seems like we have been here for weeks. The days start early and they go late. We arrived on Monday - three hours sleep and right to work upon arrival. Our first stop was a neighborhood that just opened to the residents and the public, Pleasant Grove. We drove in and I am thinking, this isnt so bad and then wham it hits. It literally looks as if a bomb exploded. What the tornado hit and missed makes no sense when your brain tries to process what the eye is seeing. There are just broken sharp trunks just standing everywhere. Cars on top of each others, children's toys and clothes all over lawns and homes without walls yet, clothes are hanging in the closet. Every Church in this neighborhood but one, is standing. The interesting thing, all of the homes behind this particular Church are untouched.

The Church is a command center for the needs of people in this neighborhood and let me tell you, these ladies are working non stop for hours. They are so generous and force food and drink on you. Same in the street, cars just stop along all of the streets and they insist that in this heat you stay hydrated.

We stumble across James, Randy and Lisa. They are neighbors. James lost everything. He tells us his story and tells us that all he is really worried about are his toys in his garage. We look over and there is no garage. The roof collapsed on top of it.

We say goodbye after praying with our new friends.

The day is long getting acclimated to the area. Pastor Jody from Point of Grace Church is just amazing and incredibly dialed in to the need in Birmingham. We had a block over which is even worse than the block before, it looks just bare. For some reason if there was smoke, this would look like it made sense but it doesnt. There are butterflies flying, birds playing and chirping with the back drop of large tree trucks coming in and out. I see a house that has walls missing but, the bedroom remained untouched. Bed was just sitting there, still made. The room next door to that one was obviously a little boys. His clothes still hang in the closet and his spider man sheets remain intact. His little toys along with a babies lay all over the front yard. I go around the house and the owners car is in what appears to be the garage, the concrete floor is there, the car is there but has a huge branch crushing it. Brand new car, only the dealers plate showing. Just devastation.

We leave with heavy hearts and head to Pratt City. A low income area. We head to the only remaining building, Scott School. Here the National Guard has check in stations. We are waved on, we are with Somebody Cares America and they know we are here to help. I am introduced to the guys from Blood and Fire Ministries. One of the guys Mike Lynch is from Minneapolis. He gives me a hug as he is our home Church contact and we have never met in person. He is incredibly busy, he has served over 1000 meals today and its only lunch time. Here the local CBS station meets us. My sister and The Talk have arranged for them to follow me so we can document my journey and share it on The Talk. I want to get the word out nationally. I want you and others like you to hear it from someone like me. The need is real and I get to share it with you. I run into Lass Bass who approaches me and asks if I am Leah's sister? How funny is that? Small world.

We meet a young single mother of three, Deatrice. She tells us her story. Which goes like this:

"I was with two of my children and noticed that the sky literally cut in to two colors in the sky. We were told that a tornado was coming so my kids and I took shelter in the bathroom. I held the door tight as my daughters blanket got caught in the door and I could feel the door trying to be sucked it. I looked at my kids and immediately started saying the Lords prayer. Then the glass starting breaking and the walls started to crumble. Then as fast as it started, it ended. I then heard my 14 year old screaming for me (at this point in the story she started to cry) He was at a friends and was worried we were gone. The fire dept had to get us out"

I was so touched by her story. She was told to come and sign a release form so that she can be released from the remainder of her lease. The next day looters came and stole every appliance form every unit in the apartments. The landlord called her and asked how she plans on paying him back for the appliances? Mike made me giggle he said "tell her to tell them, I rented this place with four walls and you cannot provide me with that so I think we are good" Deatrice cannot find a place to live as of today and is seperated from her kids. They are with multiple family members, for now. She need glasses and I am hoping that the eye Dr. trailer that was there today will be able to help. She needs the basics like detergent. She drove us to her building to see the damage. This was a low income area so the homes were smaller which means they were tight and on top of one another and lots of apartments so the devastation looks worse. Goes on for miles and miles. With our hearts in our throats - I decided to bless her with a $100.00 visa card and Doug Stringer from Somebody Cares gave her $500.00. We cried together and as she thanked me she said "God has had such favor on my life" I will add her to my prayers tonight. Will you?

Well to end on another good note. Mike was able to tear about that roof of James this morning and saved the big toys. This big ol Southern man was so happy to get his driving lawn mower back.

The stories are many, the hearts are amazing. I cannot tell you how incredibly humble and loving these people are. Everyone we meet is someone that will remain in my heart for a lifetime. This State has come together as one big family. Tonight we had dinner with people from all over the Country who like us, was pulled to come here.

Tomorrow, back to Pratt City and Pleasant Grove.

Thank you God for these people and their hearts

1 comment:

  1. Wow Nic! Very cool! Bless you for following your heart and going! It's devastating! Praying for you and all those you come in contact with.

    ReplyDelete