Saturday, May 14, 2011

Coming Home

I couldn't stop crying, I am just not ready to leave. We are so broken hearted to have to leave our new friends from Somebody Cares, America and Point of Grace Church. The idea of not being able to serve the people of Alabama just tears at me. I just feel that there is still so much to do.

The day we are leaving a truck from Tampa Bay Somebody Cares America arrives with donations from Florida. The cutest couple arrives and tell us about their drive. "We are chugging along 65/70 the whole way here when all of a sudden the truck starts to put up a fight a lil, I cannot figure it out" he says. Then the phone all of a sudden rings and its Jody (our leader in all we do in Alabama) who asks me "where are you guys" I say "exit 255" He says "that's our exit, get off" He continues "the truck all of a sudden drives just as smooth as it did the whole way there. It was like Angels were slowing us down to make sure this load made it to you all, its God I tell you" We all say "Amen". That is how this entire week was. I cry again.

Mike, Doug Strinker, Mike May, Jody and I then decide to grab a quick bite to eat before we all head out. We end up at Chili's and ask the manager if he would be so kind to put on CBS us for him and we explain what I worked out with The Talk (television show for those of you who do not watch tv). It comes on and my sister, Leah does the intro in to why we are there and it goes in to the video of the devastation in Alabama. I see people in her audience crying but, get quickly distracted by the people in the bar looking at me, then the tv then back at me. I answer all the questions in the bar about who my sister is and why we are there. We all hug one another as we feel, mission accomplished. The word got out nationally. The show also did an amazing thing and teamed up with a corporate sponsor to donate $10,000 to Somebody Cares America. What a blessing.

People keep telling me that I am an Angel for doing what I did. I am so appreciative but, I feel like, this is what we are supposed to do. We are supposed to come together as the body of Christ and help/serve one another. Our hearts were tugged for the people of Alabama. As much as they feel that we blessed them, Mike and I are the ones who feel blessed to have met, hugged and cried with each and every one of them.

We will not stop taking donations and working for the people there until it is finished. Until we know there is stability and the rebuilding is happening. They have become part of our family. They are in our hearts forever. We will never be the same

We thank each and every one of you who have supported us and donated items, money and your time. There is lots more to do so, stay tuned.

Mike & Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment