Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Day Three - Alabama

WOW! It was a hot one. 96 degrees and glaring sun yet, there is still lots of work to be done.

Mike was assigned to the "chainsaw crew" We went to our first stop, Laila's house. I havent been on this side of Pleasant Grove yet and its worse than I could have ever of imagined. I thought I had seen it all. Nope, this chick has a riding lawnmower in her family room and guess what, its not hers. Apparently, this is not the first lawnmower found inside someones home. I introduce myself to Laila and she gives me a hug. I said "you people are all so nice" She said "the fact that you guys are here is a God thing. I had tried to handle this all on my own and yesterday decided to suck it up and ask the Church to help me. Laila tells me, I asked Leslie (the Church coordinator)if she knew of a crew that could help me" she said "no". I said "Leslie, "I cannot do this by myself" The phone rang as we were talking and Leslie just looked at me and said "I have a crew for you" It was our team leader Jody from Somebody Cares America saying that we had a crew that needed an assignment. To her this was a miracle. I mean how crazy that we called at that very moment? We were there by 8:00am the very next day. So where this sweet single Mom was at a point of despair with no where to turn, here we are getting tons of trees and garbage removed from her yard within 24 hours.

Mike jumped in the moment we arrived. They cleared and cut her trees in no time. A guy with a front loader drove by, these guys flagged him down, asked him to help, he committed to be with the team as long as they needed him. I was walking around taking photos while the guys were hard at work and came across a book that tells you what to do in case of a natural emergency. I pick it up, flip through it and there amongst the recipes and pages were old photos. I asked Laila if they were hers and she shouted out with Joy and said "that is my Mom as a baby and a family Thanksgiving dinner" She gave me the biggest hug. After learning more about her and her situation, once again our amazing friends at Somebody Cares America wrote her a check on the spot for $500.00. She was amazed at how we just loved on her. How could we not?

Mike went on to another spot where a father and son who needed help cutting down branches. We get to the spot where this house once stood and seriously once stood - there is no house. Just a foundation. It was so weird to stand in their loving room and look at to where their front door would have or should have been. I was able to watch Mike work from a bedroom whose walls lay flat on the ground at my feet. I cant move as I am just deep in thought as to what my thoughts would be as the homeowner coming back here to see my holiday ornaments and my purses all over the front yard. Yet, I see all of the people who are here working, all volunteers from all over the country and a rush of peace falls over me and snaps me out of my moment of sadness. Off to lunch.

We head over Park Dr. where Blood & Fire Ministries set up in a market parking lot. They had quite the smokers set up. Their smokers running non stop making hot dogs and burgers. Chips, water, beef sticks, candy and drinks are everywhere. Big tree trucks are stopping and these guys have people on the corners just chucking food in windows, or jumping up on the running boards to get these guys food and drink. Its awesome to watch. Th truckers were loving it. Thy even gave extra and asked them to pass it on. Blood & Fire are also feeding us, the volunteers along with the displaced families. Just an amazing set up and I love how these guys are serving. They love feeding people in need and people who serve others. Great group of guys. One of them knowing that I am on a serous protein only diet brought me a full tray of burger patties, very cute.

Our next stop was Pratt City - we were hoping that Mike could get in there and start working. No work has begun here as of yet. Today is officially week two and this area is a ghost town. Maybe tomorrow we can get back there. All of these home are condemned. I am not sure if they will rebuild this part of town. I will follow their progress.

Tonight was the first real meal I have had all week. I have been living on hot dogs and burgers today so to get some veggies in me was GREAT!

Thursday, a semi of donations will arrive at Point of Grace Church. We will help unload and meet to see what the next phase will be. I do not want to leave here this week and forget about these people. An example of how they are, we went to a kid our reach tonight and we were leaning on the tailgate of some guys pick up - he comes running over saying "dont move dont move, I just need some bbq sauce out of the back" We said "we are sorry should we move"? He said "nope, stay where you are and please help yourself to some cold drinks in the cooler in the back of the truck" Mike and I looked at each other and for probably the 100th time this week said "these are the nicest people"

Thats what we find the most amazing about the people of Birmingham, they are the kindest, loving, most grateful people that we have ever met. We were here 45 minutes when a woman we met heard we drove 17 hours to get here and came straight to work, she immediately hugged us and said "here is one for now, I will hug you when you leave and give you each 4 more when we meet again in heaven" Who says that? The people of Alabama, thats who!

We will never forget these people nor will we ever forget how blessed we feel to be here helping.

Blessings to You
Mike & Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment